15,696 acres to its name Brown County
State Park is the largest Indiana State Park. Located
inside the park is Weed Patch Hill, which - at an elevation
of 1,058 feet - is one of the highest points in Indiana.
Brown County State Park first
opened to the public in 1929. Additional facilities were developed
as the park became more popular. In the first few years Abe
Martin Lodge, several cabins, a swimming pool, a saddle barn
and Strahl Lake were constructed. The roads, entrances and many
trails were also added and improved.
Veteran's Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1557 began its
work on June 1, 1934. They planted black locust, black walnut,
various pines and spruces to help correct severe soil erosion.
The CCC workers also built many of the existing buildings, shelter
houses, picnic tables, ovens, roads, trails and the two log
lookout towers. They cleared most of the vistas along Brown
County State Park's roadways and built Ogle Lake in 1934-35.